Why Use Metal Hose
Metal Hose is frequently used in piping situations where:
- There is a need to absorb the heat or pressure-induced expansion of the pipe system.
- There is a need to compensate for misalignment, or to allow lateral movements of the system during exploitation.
- High temperature fluids or gases have to be safely conveyed through a system under high pressure or under vacuum conditions.
- See Engineering Bulletin #110 for more information about how metal hose can be used under vacuum conditions, Engineering Bulletin #126 on how to calculate Maximum Allowable Working Pressure (MAWP), and Engineering Bulletin #128 for more information on using corrugated metal hose for vacuum applications.
- When a system is subjected to a vibration there is a need for special products like corrugated metal hose.
- See Engineering Bulletin #114 on ensuring Minimum Live Length to avoid damage due to vibration.
- When a system is exposed to high external heat, corrosion, or heavy or rough handling.
Where Penflex Corrugated Metal Hose is Used
Metal Hose is used in many traditional and newly developed applications.
For example, in the petroleum industry Penflex metal hose is used for connections on catalytic cracking units, in oil and gas burners and as water lines on gas engine cooling systems. In chemical plants, corrugated metal hose is used for connections to weigh scales, for loading and unloading tank trucks, for steam lines and for conveying any highly corrosive media.
Steel plants use Penflex corrugated metal hose in applications such as cooling water hoses at furnaces and oxygen lance hoses, in high temperature lubrication lines, and for cooling power lines to electrical furnaces used on special alloy steels. For use in the transport of frozen foods, manufacture of semiconductors, application of magnetic resonance imaging and beyond, companies rely on Penflex metal hose to transport cryogenic liquids, including liquid nitrogen, helium and hydrogen.
In the power generation industry, Penflex hoses are found in many facilities that employ steam and combustion turbine systems. Heavy-duty hoses can be fabricated from alloys developed specifically for very high temperatures. Penflex’s products are also used as a cooling aid to turbine blades on gas fired units, as a fuel atomizer line for oil fired burners and for conveying gas to gas fired burners.
Penflex metal hose can also be found in heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems in both industrial and high-rise buildings. Some examples include pump connections to eliminate vibration on hot and chilled water pumps, for taking up lateral movement caused by expansion and contraction of piping and transitions imposed by seismic forces. They can also used as vibration isolators on refrigeration units and air conditioner compressors and cooling towers.
Penflex is an ISO certified company with unique manufacturing and production processes that create high quality products that are safe, durable, and economic to use.